EVERYTHING ABOUT QUIKSTA FOR ALL FANS AROUND THE WORLD

Montag, 22. März 2010

Rob Fonksta Bacon


Rob "Fonksta" Bacon has been creating Funky Guitar and Bass magic with a multitude of Artists since the early 90's. His collaborations with legendary Artist/Producer D.J. Quik have gone down as Funk Classics in Hip-Hop Music History. Rob has since gone on to Record and/or perform with such eclectic Artists as Raphael Saadiq, Joi and Amp Fiddler among others. Rob's musical Roots go back to his Hometown of Detroit, where in his early teens he was immersed in the deep, rich Sounds of Motown, Funk and Classic Rock. Of his many musical influences, one Product of the Detroit Music Scene, Parliament/Funkadelic, struck a chord in Rob's soul. The Funkadelic vibe is evident in every sweaty, sticky, stanky note Rob plays. Inspired by the late, great Funkadelic Guitarist Eddie Hazel's classic "Maggot Brain", Rob has recorded this Seven Minute Freak-a-Delic Guitar Opus, entitled "Let It Go" (Mental Enema). "Let It Go" is simply Rob Bacon playing his guts out, crying through his Fingers in a burst of pure Emotion. The things Rob Bacon's eyes witnessed and his ears heard growing up in inner city Detroit...these are the Sights and Sounds that inspired the instrumental...One memorable career highlight for Rob was touring with George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic in 2005 as opening Act with the Original Line Up of Children Of Production, an All-Star Unit that featured Joi, Raphael Saadiq, Amp Fiddler, Keisha Jackson, Preston Crump, Cat Daddy & Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction. Rob also Co-Wrote & Co-Produced with Joi on the Songs "Dance With Yesterday" and "Gravity", featured on the Singer's most current release, "Tennesse Slim Is The Bomb". Rob was also featured on many Quik Songs and gave them a special Touch of P-Funk...




Smokee & Davizz asking Rob..

As we all know you worked a lot with DJ Quik, how did you meet?
Rob Bacon: Yeah, back in 1990-91, I was introduced to Quik thru my friends and music producers Courtney Branch and Tracy Kendrick, of Total Trak Productions. I had been doing some session work with some of their other projects, and they had just discovered Quik, who at the time was making a name for himself as a D.J. releasing a string of underground mixtapes. I came down to do a session for him, and he wanted me to replay a bass line over a sample or something. Well, we ended up creating something completely different, which ended up being "8 Ball", and it was based on elements of "Chameleon" by Herbie Hancock.
That was the very first thing we ever did together, and after that we were in the studio together nearly every day for almost three years! I understood where Quik was coming from musically, because we had both grown up listening to a lot of the same music. I was able to help him keep the live element in his tracks, but still keep a Hip Hop edge. Quik is a very gifted, brilliant artist and he always knew how to get the best of what I brought to the table musically.

In February '06 we have seen you making a fantastic guitar solo at Quik's House of Blues show with a live band, what can you tell us about that experience?
Rob Bacon: Thank you!! That was really a lot of fun. It was not really planned or rehearsed much, because we were all just hanging out, supporting Quik at his first real concert with a full live band. He asked me if I wanted to do something, so we decided on that tune because it had a nice Funkadelic vibe in the guitar solo. That is the same solo I played on "Medley for a V (Reprise)", the last track on "Rhythmalizm". People in the crowd were really excited because most of them had only read my name on the album credits, so it was the first time they saw me!! Fonky!!

Beyond you and Quik, the third element of the magic trio is G-One. When did you meet each other? Any news about him?
Rob Bacon: G-One and I met even before I met or worked with Quik. He was actually an excellent drummer, and we had played together with several artists. I introduced him to Quik when we needed a drummer to do the "Arsenio Hall Show", when we performed "Just Lyke Compton" with a live band. Around 1994, when I went to New York for a while, Quik and G-One began producing some things together. G-One is working on several projects at the moment. He is also a very talented brother, and a good friend.

I would like to talk about "Quik's Groove III", produced by you three guys. That track is bigger than Hip Hop to me, how was the recording process?
Rob Bacon: Thanks. "Quik's Groove III" was actually composed from a little piece of an instrumental track I had written before, called "Goodnite, Jazsmin", which was kind of like a Jaco Pastorious "Portrait" type of vibe.
Quik heard me playing it on bass, and fell in love with it, so he asked if he could have it for the next Quik's Groove, and I said yes, so we had G-One play live drums, I did the bass and guitars, my friend Chaz Green played the flute solo, and Quik did his usual magic to make it all work together. You are right, that track could be on a smooth Jazz record!!

Another one produced by you it's Suga Free's "If U Stay Ready". Classic track, the guitar melody is simply amazing, especially the outro. Can you tell us how that song was born?
Rob Bacon: Thanks! The story of "If U Stay Ready" is funny! Quik had just bought a house about an hour away from where I lived in L.A. I had just got back in town, and G-One and I went and spend the weekend at Quik's, to help him write/produce some things for Suga Free's record.
Suga Free was a real trip, man! A true pimp to the bone, and a lyrical genius!! That cat had so much energy.. it was crazy! Anyway, about the second day I woke up with an idea in the very early hours of the morning.. it was the main guitar riff for the song. I got a basic drum track going on the MPC 60, and started laying down the guitar parts. Playa Hamm (of Penthouse Playas) was also there for the weekend, and he woke up about 7 or 8 in the AM, and I remember him writing his verse while he was ironing a shirt! He told me right then: "Man, that's the single". I think the noise woke up Quik, and I can remember him running down the stairs, yelling: "That's IT!! what's that, man? keep playing that!!". He then went over to the MPC, and re-programmed the drums, adding a sick breakbeat
loop underneath..(I think something by Brass Construction). I played the bass line and Roger Troutman-ish synth parts on a little cheap Yamaha synthesizer.
G-One and I came up with the idea for the hook: "If u stay rea-daaay.. u ain't got to get rea-daa-ay". That's actually me singing the chorus in the Curtis Mayfield like falsetto! I just intended that vocal to be a guide for the girl vocalist who was supposed to sing the hook, but we ended up mixing the track with my original vocal.
We also wrote and recorded "Dip Da", "No Suckaz Live Here" and "Tip Toe"(reprise.. guitar solo) up at the house. That was a very fonky weekend!



WAY 2 FONKY...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Counter